With all the extraordinary stresses we are under today, Mel Robbins—motivational speaker, author and creator of “The 5 Second Rule”—has a simple morning routine she recommends for every woman trying to manage her mindset to boost focus and motivation in 2021.
1. Under no circumstances, sleep with your phone.
It’s like inviting the world in your bed with you, she says, because the first thing we all do if our phone is there is check it as soon as we wake up. Instead, put it in another room, silence your messages, and tell your kids to call you if they need you. (They probably won’t.)
2. Engage your five senses before you let anything from the outside world in.
- Look at something that brings you joy or happiness: a photo of someone you love, a beautiful quote, a book of prayers or meditations.
- Listen for silence. Have a mindfulness practice, pray, meditate, practice gratitude, chant, think, journal. Anything quiet.
- Smell something beautiful. Light a candle or incense.
- Taste something that will serve you in this moment.
- Feel your body moving. Research shows one of the fastest ways to increase your focus is through 20 minutes of exercise.
3. Set an intention for the day.
Think about the one thing you most want to make progress on in the day.
After that, she says, you can let the rest of the world in because you will have now set up your own day for success, joy, happiness, and feeling in control.
“That,” she adds, “is how we do it in a pandemic.”